birth of the squadron was initiated by 13 members of the Montreal Power
Squadron, who decided that since most of their pleasure boating was on
Lake St. Louis, no better reason could be found for breaking away from
the Montreal Power Squadron and forming a local squadron.
The name selected for this new Squadron was Lake St. Louis Power
Montreal Power Squadron was very cooperative in this regard and was of
great help with their support during our early years.
group of 13 members was led by Henry Vineberg who became Lake St. Louis
first Commander and nursed these members along in the formative years.
Lake St. Louis Power Squadron charter was presented on May 30, 1956 at
the Royal St. Lawrence Yacht Club and it then became the 18th CPS
first Lake St. Louis Power Squadron class (boating class) was held at
the Lord Reading Yacht Club
in October 1956. Lectures
were given by the charter members.
The original class consisted of
fourteen enthusiastic students.
the classes and interest grew in size, the Squadron moved its classes to
the Royal St. Lawrence Yacht Club in 1961.
Squadron was on the move and during those early years the only course
offered was the basic Piloting course (now boating course).
Those early classes averaged 25 students.
Enthusiasm ran high.
and above the classroom teaching sessions, efforts were made to mix
social events with the classroom course activities.
The Squadron social events included the following activities:
Summer Cruises, Olde Pier Dance, Predicted Log Contests, Movie
Nights, Life Saving Courses, Factory Visits, VHF Courses and Planetarium
above events were quite successful and well attended.
It was felt that these types of activities helped keep the
From these early and critical years the Squadron grew in strength,
increasing in membership as well as teaching knowledge which came with
The Squadron has always been fortunate in that from within the
membership, the Squadron has been able to select executive material as
well as instructors of a high caliber, and great enthusiasm.
The Squadron, as it gained experience in the early years, decided that
although annual elections were held it would be advantageous in the long
run to extend the commander’s term in office for two years, even though
some of the other bridge officers might change.
This decision was made to provide continuity in the running of
the “Bridge”. Unfortunately the Squadron was not always able to do this,
due to the out of town business transfers of some officers.
Due to the excellent types the Squadron was fortunate to select for the
Bridge, many have risen to positions within CPS at both District and
all due respect to the many members who went on to higher offices, one
member went all the way to the top becoming Chief Commander, namely our
own Mike Dumaresq. Mike
joined the Squadron by graduating with the 1960 Piloting (boating) class
and became Squadron Commander in 1966.
From there Mike served in its Maisonneuve District and was
elected to the position of Chief Commander in October 1977.
Mike has retired from this position, he is one of the strongest boosters
of CPS with unlimited enthusiasm.
the years the Squadron submitted training aids at the National Annual
General Meeting and has won many awards for its efforts.
Squadron was very fortunate in that if a training aid were required to
assist in teaching any subject, someone always stepped in offering to
new squadrons were formed in the area over the years, with transfer of
some of our members to these squadrons. Lake St. Louis Squadron is quite
proud of the fact that it assisted in the setting up of these squadrons.
The squadrons are West Island and Lake of Two Mountains.